Welcome to week 2.
At the end of our first full week of classes, we now see the College in full swing. Monday marked the return of our Year 8 to 11 students and the first session of Academy. Instrumental Music planning is well under way and we are very excited about the year ahead in Music. Instrumental lessons are FREE for all Year 7 and 8 students, and the College has been lucky enough to secure the services of 2 professional musicians to work in our program for the first semester.
Classes got off to a great start this week, helped along by the completion of the “Year 21” program in the final weeks of Term 4, 2020. Students transitioned easily into the new academic year and have been able to crack into learning very quickly.
Our Year 7 student started their work on the newly named Barak Project, with an emphasis on their strengths and growth mindset. These are critical pillars to enable them to flourish. Looking ahead to next Tuesday, I am excited to welcome all of our new Year 7 families to a BBQ evening on Tuesday 9 February. Our staff are committed to establishing powerful connections with everyone in our community and I look forward to a strong attendance form our Year 7 families.
Whilst it was disappointing to return to masks indoors on Thursday, we acknowledge this is an important step in staying Covid safe. It was terrific to see how our students embraced this. We all need to play our part, and I remind everyone to maintain physical distance where possible and to ensure hand sanitising is maintained. We currently have additional cleaning staff, ensuring that every day the students return to fully cleaned learning spaces.
Continuing with a focus on community, FHC is proud to assist organisations in our local area to grow and thrive. With this in mind, please read on below as we highlight some fantastic local footy clubs who aim to grow the women’s game.
Emmaus St. Leo’s Football Club Women’s Pre-Season Academy
Who are we?
Emmaus St. Leo’s (The Animals) are a close-knit football team located at Bennetswood Reserve in Burwood! We pride ourselves on our ‘Animals Family’ and welcome any and all players to join!
What is the Academy?
To give aspiring female football players an opportunity to both learn and refine their skills, we are hosting a free ‘Pre-season Academy’ featuring specialist coaching from former and current AFLW & AFL coaches, an expert tackling coach and a current AFLW player!
Details and Dates
Along with our supportive team of coaches and current players, females of all skill levels are invited to participate, have fun, make some new friends, and join the Animals Family. All you need to bring are runners and a drink bottle (all equipment to be provided). Sessions to start at 6:00PM on the following dates at Bennettswood Reserve (Deakin University).
· Monday 8th Feb: Come and meet the awesome and welcoming current coaches and players in a fun introduction session!
· Wednesday 10th Feb: AFLW assistant coach Kim Ledder to run a foundation skills and game knowledge session!
· Monday 15th Feb: Our women’s coaches to a session expanding on Kim’s lessons!
· Wednesday 17th Feb: Our women’s coaches will introduce some basic game plans in a fun session!
· Monday 22nd Feb: AFLW star Lauren Spark to run a comprehensive session including skills, game plan and a bit about her football story!
· Wednesday 24th Feb: Our women’s coaches to expand on Lauren’s teachings, with some Animals game plans being introduced!
· Monday 1st March: Long time AFL assistant George Stone to share his AFL stories and run a fundamentals of the game session!
· Wednesday 3rd March: Expert tackling coach Malcolm Bangs to teach all things tackling in our final Academy session, followed by a BBQ
Fill out the Google link below to register